Ayr Clinic commenced the Safewards Scheme in June 2018 and purchased its first Safety Pod at this time. In a presentation for The Lead Nurse Forensic Network, Ayr Clinic’s director of clinical services Victoria McInulty highlighted a number of benefits of using a Safety Pod. These included the following:
- Reduces the risk of positional asphyxiation
- Improvement in client care
- Reduction in time and injury to service users [involved in restraint].
- Independently tested and treated materials.
- Positive outcome on staff who are de-escalating situations.
Reduction in injuries to staff and patients.
The feedback stated that ‘yes’ the introduction of Safety Pods had reduced injuries to both staff and patients in restraint situations.
Reduction in floor restraints
The feedback stated that ‘yes’ using the Safety Pod did minimise the need for using higher level physical interventions such as prone and supine restraints on the floor.
Ayr Clinic said ‘yes’ it would recommend Safety Pods for use in other similar organisations or units. It also rated UK Pods Ltd’s customer service as “very good”.